Subscribe to SIAWI content updates by Email
Home > fundamentalism / shrinking secular space > Indonesia: Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan

Indonesia: Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan

Friday 26 May 2017, by siawi3

Source: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2017/05/24/breaking-news-police-say-explosions-a-suicide-bombing.html

Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan

News Desk

The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Thu, May 25, 2017 | 01:59 am

Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan Police officers place tape near covered up human remains at the Kampung Melayu bus terminal in East Jakarta after a bomb blast on Wednesday. A suspected suicide bombing rocked the busy bus terminal, killing three policemen in the latest terror attack to hit Jakarta. (AFP/Bayu Ismoyo)

Only hours before Jakartans looked forward to enjoying the Ascension of Jesus Christ public holiday, a twin bomb attack struck the Kampung Melayu Transjakarta bus terminal on Wednesday night.

Two suspected suicide bombers died instantly, the police said.

At least five policemen who were escorting a traditional parade to welcome the Islamic fasting month of Ramadhan also fell victim, three of whom are reported to have died. At least five civilians were also injured.

(Read also: Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal)

The terrorist attack took place while the world was still mourning the victims of the suicide bombing of the concert by US pop star Ariana Grande in Manchester, UK, only a day before.

The busy Transjakarta bus rapid transit hub in East Jakarta and the surrounding area descended into chaos after the explosions. The terminal is located in a densely populated area.

Footage and pictures of the scene have gone viral on social media. Some of the footage shows people panicking, screaming and running away from the terminal. Other images depict scattered body parts.

Traffic around the scene was blocked off and rerouted.

A police officer guards the bomb site at the Kampung Melayu bus station in East Jakarta. (Antara/Sigid Kurniawan)

National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Setyo Wasisto said one explosion occurred at a motorcycle parking lot.

“The glass at the corridor seven [bus stop], where passengers alight, was smashed to pieces,” Transjakarta president director Budi Kaliwono said, adding that the Transjakarta service would continue, but would not stop at Kampung Melayu.

He added that no Transjakarta staff or passengers were among the casualties and urged members of the public to immediately report any suspicious activities.

The injured victims were treated at the Premier Hospital and Hermina Hospital in East Jakarta.

As of midnight, no claim of responsibility for the attack had been received.

Setyo said he was optimistic the police would be able to identify the perpetrators and any possible terrorist ring soon.

“The body parts [of the attackers] remain at the scene. The parts from the neck above are still intact so the face can be identified,” he said.

Mobile Brigade personnel from the Jakarta Police are deployed to the area nearby the Kampung Melayu bus terminal in East Jakarta following bomb blasts on Wednesday evening.(Antara/Sigid Kurniawan)

The attack is believed to have been targeted at the police, making it the latest terror attack to have targeted the police in recent years.

On Jan. 14, 2016, Jakarta was rocked by multiple explosions, including one at a police post, and gunfire around the Sarinah shopping mall in Central Jakarta. At least eight people, including four attackers and four civilians, were killed. A total of 20 people were injured, including five police officers.

Setyo said the police had detected possible attacks in Jakarta. “We were not able yet to identify when or where [they might happen],” he said.

Setyo said the police suspected the perpetrators of the attack were related to terror groups behind other attacks in other countries, including the Manchester bombing.

#PrayForJakarta and #KamiTidakTakut (We are not afraid) emerged on the worldwide internet trending topic list immediately after the incident.

“Everyone, please stay safe! #PrayforJakarta,” Singer-songwriter Raisa posted on her twitter handle @Raisa6690, which has been retweeted by more than 1,000 users as of 1 a.m. on Thursday.

“Deep condolences over bombing act in Kampung Melayu, Jakarta. Please don’t share any unverified information,” official Twitter Indonesia account @TwitterID posted.

(fac/kuk/saf/hol/wnd/agn/cal/bbs)

°°

BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police

Safrin La Batu

The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Wed, May 24, 2017 | 11:41 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police Police reroute traffic and clear the area nearby the Kampung Melayu bus terminal in East Jakarta following bomb blasts on Wednesday evening. (Tribunnews/Irwan Rismawan)

At least five people have fallen victim to a bomb blast near a Transjakarta bus station in Kampung Melayu in East Jakarta, National Police deputy chief Comr. Gen. Syafruddin said on Wednesday.

At least two people have been killed in the attack, the suspected suicide bomber and policeman Sec. Brig. Taufan.

’"There are five victims. Five policeman, one of whom was killed," Syafruddin said, adding that the other four policemen had been badly injured in the blast.

“I want to express my sympathies. An explosion has occurred. For the time being, we are treating it as a suicide bombing. We believe there is a single perpetrator. We have not yet identified the perpetrator,” Syafruddin said.

The explosion took place at around 9 p.m., Jakarta time.

(Read also: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta)

Traffic around the scene has been blocked off and the police are investigating the explosion.

If the police are correct and this is indeed a suicide bomb attack, it will be one of several such attacks that have targeted the police in Indonesia. (bbs)

°°

BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta

News Desk

The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Wed, May 24, 2017 | 10:59 pm
BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears Police reroute traffic and clear the area nearby the Kampung Melayu bus terminal in East Jakarta following bomb blasts on Wednesday evening. (courtesy of/twitter TMC Polda)

An eyewitness has told a TV station over the phone that he heard two explosions erupt at a Transjakarta bus stop nearby the Kampung Melayu bus terminal in East Jakarta on Wednesday evening.

Joni told MetroTV that the traffic was busy when the first blast erupted.

"The situation turned chaotic and then the second explosion was heard," Joni said.

Body parts have been spotted at the blast scene, Joni said, adding that people injured in the blast have been taken to a nearby hospital.

Some of those injured are thought to be police officers.

A police bomb squad has been deployed and the blast scene has been cordoned off.

The police have yet confirm whether the explosions have caused any fatalities.

Meanwhile, Transjakarta spokesman Wibowo said no Transjakarta passengers were injured in the explosions.

However, he said the impact of the explosions had ripped through nearby a bus shelter, shattering the windowpanes.

Transjakarta has now redirected several bus routes to avoid the blast scene. (dmr)

°°

The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Fri, April 7, 2017 | 07:00 pm

Alliance seeks stronger state protection for terrorism victims Tight security

— Counterterrorism personnel stand guard during a search in Cemani, Sukoharjo, Central Java, on Dec.13. (JP/Ganug Nugroho Adi)

A civil society organization is calling on the government to strengthen the rights of terror attack victims in the amendment of the 2003 Terrorism Law, which is being discussed at the House of Representatives.

The Alliance for a Peaceful Indonesia (AIDA) said many victims of terror attacks found it was still quite difficult for their lives to return to normal given the prolonged trauma they suffered. Their rights to compensation as stipulated by the 2003 Terrorism Law had never been fully implemented.

AIDA director Hasibullah Satrawi said on Thursday the current mechanism in the law that required a court verdict for the payment of compensation for terror attack victims had hampered the fulfillment of the victims’ rights. With a long and complicated procedure to get a court verdict, what they often received was just a small sum of financial aid instead of compensation as mandated.

Hasibullah said it was hoped that during the revision, the mechanism for the disbursement of the compensation could be changed. “We suggest that the compensation be determined through assessments conducted by a government agency, which receives its mandate in the new law.”

Hasibullah further said the draft revision should also explicitly cite the rights of terror attack victims to receive medical assistance as soon as a terror attack occurred.

Daisy, who survived the 2004 bomb attack outside the Australian Embassy, Jakarta, said the government should restore the livelihood of terrorism victims. “It’s quite difficult for them to return to their jobs because of their trauma.” (mrc/ebf)