Subscribe to SIAWI content updates by Email
Home > fundamentalism / shrinking secular space > Russia: Daesh claims Knife attack in Siberia: 8 people wounded

Russia: Daesh claims Knife attack in Siberia: 8 people wounded

Saturday 19 August 2017, by siawi3

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/19/surgut-stabbing-siberia-moscow-knife-attack

Eight people stabbed in Siberian city of Surgut

Attacker who injured passersby, two seriously, was shot dead by police

A Russian policeman stands over the suspected attacker in Surgut, Siberia. Photograph: YouTube

Agencies

Saturday 19 August 2017 11.57 BST
First published on Saturday 19 August 2017 10.40 BST

Eight people have been injured in a knife attack in the Siberian city of Surgut, according to Russian news agency reports.

“A man was running along the main streets stabbing people,” Tass reported, citing the spokesman for the local office of the Russian law enforcement committee. The suspect was shot dead by police.

The male attacker carried out attacks on passersby, causing stab wounds to eight while moving along central streets of the city at about 11.20am local time, said Russia’s Investigative Committee, which investigates major crimes.

“The committee is investigating attempted murder,” a spokeswoman told Reuters. She would not comment on whether the incident was terrorism related.

Surgut is 2,100km (1,330 miles) north-east of Moscow in the oil-rich Khanty-Mansi region.

Four of the wounded were in serious condition, according to Tass , which cited regional health official Vladislav Nigmatulin. The government of the Khanty-Mansi region said the attacker remained unidentified.

The government called for calm over the incident, urging “citizens and media … to use reliable information in assessing the situation until all the circumstances are established”.

The Surgut stabbing comes after an 18-year-old Moroccan national was arrested in Finland suspected of killing two people in a knife attack in the city of Turku on Friday.

°°°

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/19/russian-knifeman-stabs-eight-shot/

Isil claims responsibility after Russian knifeman stabs eight before being shot dead by police

A man armed with a knife has attacked pedestrians in the Russian city of Surgut Credit: Вася Аллибабаевич/Youtube

Our Foreign Staff

19 August 2017 • 1:19pm

Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has claimed responsibility for a stabbing attack in Russia that has left two people in a serious condition.

The knife attacker stabbed eight people on the street in Russia’s far northern city of Surgut before being shot by police, investigators said Saturday.

Isil’s Amaq news agency claimed responsibility for the attack on Saturday.

The male attacker "carried out attacks on passers-by, causing stab wounds to eight" while "moving along central streets of the city" at around 11:20 am local time, said Russia’s Investigative Committee, which probes major crimes.

It said that armed police then arrived and used their weapons on the attacker and "liquidated" him.

The incident took place in a city some 1,330 miles northeast of Moscow in the oil-rich Khanty-Mansi region.

Two of those stabbed are in a serious condition while five more are in a stable condition, the government of the Khanty-Mansi region said in a statement, calling the attacker so far "unidentified."

It called for calm over the incident, saying that "in the interests of public calm and also of the investigation, citizens and media are recommended to use reliable information in assessing the situation until all the circumstances are established."

However, Russian police initially said that terrorism was not the main angle of the investigation after identifying the attacker.

"The version that the attack was a terrorist one is not the main one," the interior ministry’s press service in the Khanty-Mansi region told the Interfax news agency, saying that the attacker had been identified and may have suffered from psychiatric disorders.