Subscribe to SIAWI content updates by Email
Home > fundamentalism / shrinking secular space > USA: New York bombing: “I did it for ISIS”

USA: New York bombing: “I did it for ISIS”

Tuesday 12 December 2017, by siawi3


Port Authority bomber mocked Trump online hours before attack: ’You failed to protect your nation’

Victoria Bekiempis, Thomas Tracy, Rich Schapiro

Updated: Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 12:11 PM

The accused Port Authority bomber posted a taunting message to President Trump in the hours before the attack, authorities said Tuesday.

“Trump you failed to protect your nation,” Akayed Ullah, 27, wrote on Facebook early Monday, authorities said, according to his federal complaint.

The glimpse into Ullah’s murderous mind was revealed hours after he was hit with federal charges for the rush-hour attack designed to “terrorize as many people as possible,” the complaint says.

Prosecutors say the ISIS-inspired former livery cab driver detonated a crude pipe bomb strapped to his chest while walking through a Port Authority tunnel Monday morning.

Investigators scouring Ullah’s Brooklyn home turned up a passport in his name with multiple handwritten notes, including “O AMERICA, DIE IN YOUR RAGE,” the complaint says.

The investigators also found metal pipes, Christmas light fragments and screws that matched the items used in the crudely constructed bomb found at the scene, the complaint says.

Akayed Ullah, 27, was hit with charges of weapons possession, supporting an act of terrorism and making a terroristic threat for the Monday morning attack.

In interviews with investigators, the Bangladeshi man said he carried out the attack in part as retaliation for U.S. government policies in the Middle East.

“I did it for the Islamic State,” Ullah told police, the complaint says.

Port Authority bomber was not known to police before attack

The failed suicide bomber also told investigators that he targeted the underground tunnel linking Times Square to Port Authority to inflict maximum carnage.

“One of Ullah’s goals in carrying out the December 11 attack was to terrorize as many people as possible,” his complaint says.

“He chose to carry out the attack on a workday because he believed that there would be more people.”

The seeds of Ullah’s radicalization were sewn around 2014 when he started watching Islamic State videos online.

Trump blames ’chain migration’ for Port Authority bombing

Ullah told police he began doing online research on how to build homemade explosives about a year ago.

He dedicated himself to attacking the U.S. after seeing instructions that “if supporters of ISIS were unable to travel overseas to join ISIS, they should carry out attacks in their homelands,” the complaint says.

Photo: Pipe bomb explosion in subway near Port Authority terminal

Ullah gathered together the materials for his bomb about two to three weeks ago. He built it in his Brooklyn apartment roughly a week before the attack, the complaint says.

Federal prosecutors charged Ullah with a total of five counts, including providing material support to a terrorist group and use of weapons of mass destruction.

Port Authority bombing suspect carried out attack in name of ISIS

The failed suicide bomber was severely injured in the 7:20 a.m. blast Monday, but the bomb failed to detonate fully.

Three others suffered minor injuries in the rush-hour attack that triggered panic and chaos in the heart of Midtown.

Ullah, who is recovering from burns and cuts to his hands and stomach at Bellevue Hospital, could be arraigned as early as Tuesday afternoon.

Earlier Tuesday, the Port Authority police hit Ullah with several state charges — including weapons possession, supporting an act of terrorism and making a terroristic threat.

Photo: Port Authority bombing left one victim temporarily deaf

Photo: The pipe bomb failed to detonate fully and Ullah was the only person seriously wounded by the blast. (Andres Kudacki/AP)

But the case is expected to be prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s office.

Police sources said on Monday that Ullah admitted to detonating the device when he saw a Christmas poster in the tunnel, sources said. He told investigators he was angry about airstrikes against ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria.

Ullah said that he was inspired by ISIS but had not gotten direct orders from the terror group, sources said Monday.



Police in Bangladesh grill Port Authority bomber’s wife, in-laws about his terror ties

by Rich Schapiro

Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 10:58 AM

Police in Bangladesh were grilling the wife and in-laws of the accused Port Authority bomber Tuesday amid a far-reaching investigation into his terror ties.

Counterterrorism officers with the Dhaka Metropolitan Police swooped in on the home of terror suspect Akayed Ullah’s family members in the Bangladeshi capital, according to

The officers detained Ullah’s wife Jannatul Ferdous Jui, her mother Mahfuza Akhter and father Julfiqar Haidar.

The local police were looking into whether the family members had any links to extremist groups, reported.

Port Authority bomber Akayed Ullah hit with terrorism charges

Photo: Akayed Ullah told investigators in New York that he carried out the attack in retaliation for U.S. strikes on Islamic State targets.

The relatives were taken into custody a day after the 27-year-old Ullah detonated a crude pipe bomb strapped to his chest in a Port Authority tunnel, triggering rush-hour panic and chaos.

Ullah, a former livery cab driver who lived in Brooklyn, suffered serious injuries in the 7:20 a.m. blast.

Three others suffered minor injuries after the device failed to detonate fully, officials said.

Ullah was charged Tuesday with weapons possession, supporting an act of terrorism and making a terroristic threat. He was recovering from his wounds at Bellevue Hospital.

The failed suicide bomber married his wife in January 2016, the family caretaker told

She gave birth to their son on June 10.

Photo: Journalists try to talk with the family members of Akayed Ullah at a building where he used to live in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on Dec. 12. (A.M. Ahad/AP)

Ullah, who arrived in America in 2011 on a visa available to certain relatives of U.S. citizens, returned to Bangladesh on Sept. 18. He left for the U.S. on Oct. 22, the website reported.

Ullah told investigators in New York that he carried out the attack in retaliation for U.S. strikes on Islamic State targets in the Middle East, sources said.