Subscribe to SIAWI content updates by Email
Home > fundamentalism / shrinking secular space > At Least 13 Killed, 30 Injured In Mosque Blast In Eastern Afghanistan

At Least 13 Killed, 30 Injured In Mosque Blast In Eastern Afghanistan

Sunday 6 May 2018, by siawi3

Source: https://gandhara.rferl.org/a/afghanistan-mosque-blast-voter-registration/29211576.html

At Least 13 Killed, 30 Injured In Mosque Blast In Eastern Afghanistan

6.05.18 - 1 hour ago

The bomb had been placed in a tent being used as a voter registration center on the grounds of a mosque.

Afghan officials say at least 13 people have been killed and some 30 others wounded in an explosion at a mosque in eastern Khost Province that was being used as a voter registration center.

Talib Mangal, a provincial government spokesman, said that an explosive device placed inside the Yaqoubi mosque detonated at around 2.30 p.m. local time on May 6 and caused casualties among civilians who had gathered both for prayers and to register to vote.

Abdul Wali Wahidzai, a provincial council member, said the number of casualties might rise.

No one immediately claimed responsibility, but the extremist group Islamic State (IS) has carried out similar attacks in the past. Taliban militants have also warned people not to take part in the elections.

There have been a number of attacks on voter registration centers since the process began last month.

On April 22, a suicide bombing outside a voter registration center in Kabul killed at least 57 people and wounded 119 others.

IS claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred in a heavily Shi’a-populated area in the Afghan capital.

Afghan parliamentary elections are scheduled for October 20.

In a separate incident, a vehicle carrying shopkeepers on their way to a market struck a roadside bomb in Afghanistan’s northern Faryab Province, killing seven of them.

Based on reporting by AP, AFP, Reuters, dpa, and the BBC

°°°

Source: https://gandhara.rferl.org/a/afghan-taliban-announces-launch-of-spring-offensive/29191027.html

Afghanistan
Afghan Taliban Announces Launch Of Spring Offensive

April 25, 2018

RFE/RL

Afghan security personnel keep watch at the site of an attack by Taliban militants on a government compound in the Khwaja Omari district in the southeastern province of Ghazni on April 12.
Afghan security personnel keep watch at the site of an attack by Taliban militants on a government compound in the Khwaja Omari district in the southeastern province of Ghazni on April 12.

The Afghan Taliban has announced the launch of its annual spring offensive.

In a statement released online on April 25, the militant group said the offensive will be "mainly focused on crushing, killing, and capturing American invaders." It said the Americans’ "internal supporters" — the Afghan government and troops — are considered secondary priorities.

The Taliban announcement comes amid a new wave of attacks across Afghanistan.

At least 11 Afghan soldiers and police officers were killed on April 24 in separate Taliban attacks in Farah and Ghazni provinces.

On April 23, Taliban militants attacks in western Afghanistan killed 18 soldiers and police officers.

Separately, an April 22, a suicide bombing in Kabul claimed by the Islamic State extremist group killed 60 people.

Based on reporting by AP and dpa