Subscribe to Secularism is a Womens Issue

Secularism is a Women’s Issue

Home > Uncategorised > UK: Stabbing attack in London - 3 wounded

UK: Stabbing attack in London - 3 wounded

Monday 3 February 2020, by siawi3


Streatham attack
Streatham attacker freed from jail days ago after terror conviction

Sudesh Amman, who was shot dead by police, was under police surveillance following release

Streatham attack: latest updates
First witness accounts

Vikram Dodd, Dan Sabbagh and Rajeev Syal

Sun 2 Feb 2020 21.51 GMT
First published on Sun 2 Feb 2020 21.11 GMT

Screenshot of video as armed police arrive at terrorist incident in Streatham. Photograph: Twitter

The man shot dead by police after he stabbed two people in London on Sunday left prison only days ago and had previously been noted by police as having a “fascination with dying in the name of terrorism”, it has emerged.

Sudesh Amman, whose attack on Streatham High Road left one person initially in a life-threatening condition, was under active police surveillance at the time of the attack. He had been freed after serving half of his sentence of more than three years for the possession and distribution of extremist material.

Jailed aged 18 in December 2018, Amman had been released after serving part of his three year and four month sentence, but was deemed sufficiently high risk that he was under special monitoring by police.

Photo: Sudesh Amman was jailed for three years and four months and had only recently been released from prison. Photograph: Met police

Mobile phone footage of the incident showed officers wearing plain clothes arriving on the scene at high speed, firing about five gunshots and killing Amman outside a branch of the chemist Boots. They used pistols that are normally used by surveillance officers.

Amid questions over how Amman was able to carry out the attack so soon after his release when he was being monitored so closely, a Whitehall source said: “He was under surveillance, that is what allowed police to do their job so quickly. It could have been much worse than it was.

“There had been concerns when he was in prison but there were no powers for any authority to keep him behind bars.

The attack is the second terror incident in the British capital in the past three months, coming soon after former terrorist prisoner Usman Khan stabbed and killed two people in the London Bridge terror attack in late November.

Like Khan’s attack it will prompt further political debate about sentencing for terrorists. After an emergency meeting in Downing Street with Priti Patel, the home secretary, and senior police officers, Boris Johnson said: “[On Monday] we will announce further plans for fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences.”

Amman, 20, pledged allegiance to Islamic State in messages to his girlfriend at the time he was jailed, and said that he wanted to carry out terrorist attacks. At the time, he wrote to her: “If you can’t make a bomb because family, friends or spies are watching or suspecting you, take a knife, molotov, sound bombs or a car at night and attack …”

Comments from police officers at the time suggested that there were serious concerns about the level of Amman’s determination to die as a martyr. At the time of his conviction, Acting Commander Alexis Boon, then head of the Metropolitan police counter terrorism command, said he had a “fierce interest in violence and martyrdom”.

In remarks reported in 2018 Boon said: “His fascination with dying in the name of terrorism was clear in a notepad we recovered from his home. Amman had scrawled his ‘life goals’ in the notepad and top of the list, above family activities, was dying a martyr and going to ‘Jannah’ – the afterlife.”

Boon continued: “It’s not clear how Amman became radicalised but it is apparent from his messages that it had been at least a year in development. Whatever the circumstances, this case is a reminder of the need to be vigilant to signs of radicalisation and report it.”

A Whitehall source claimed that the attack was evidence that the prime minister should be able to enact harsher anti-terror laws. “There was nothing that could be done to keep him behind bars under existing laws, hence why he was under surveillance and strict licensing conditions,” the source said.

In another echo of Khan’s attack, Amman was wearing a fake suicide vest, described by some eyewitnesses as containing canister-like objects. Police said they were able to establish quickly it was a hoax device after the attacker had been shot.

Police and intelligence agencies only have resources to monitor a handful of individuals at one time, indicating that anybody under active surveillance will have been deemed to be a serious threat.
Streatham attack: police shoot man dead after ’terror related’ stabbing – video report

Investigators’ inquiries will now focus on Amman’s associations, whether he was a lone actor or was directed by others, and, if they were being monitored, how the attacker managed to launch a stabbing spree in broad daylight. Investigators cautioned that it remained very difficult to establish exactly when a suspect’s intention turned into violent action.

Eyewitnesses said they saw police fire several shots at the attacker. Karker Tahir, who worked in a nearby shop, said he saw “two or three police officers undercover with guns” telling the suspect to stop. “Then I saw them shoot him three times,” he added.

Nardos Mulugeta, 52, a mechanical engineer who lives in Streatham, said he heard one shot, then a gap before three or four shots were fired. He described seeing three victims in the street including a woman who said she had been “stabbed in the back”.

Two people were attacked on the high street, with police describing a man’s injuries as “life threatening” at the time. In total, three people were taken to south London hospitals, the Met later confirmed. One man’s condition is no longer life-threatening after treatment, a Met statement said; one woman with minor injuries has been discharged; and another woman is still being treated for minor injuries that police said were believed to have been caused by glass following the discharge of one of the officers’ firearms.

Police cordoned off the scene, closing down what is normally a busy shopping street and thoroughfare, with shoppers held back as paramedics attended. SThe incident happened so quickly that a double-decker bus that was driving past remained abandoned in the road as forensics investigators worked into the night.

An immediate investigation into the shooting is also being undertaken by the Independent Office for Police Conduct. The watchdog said: “It is mandatory for us to conduct an independent investigation when the police fatally shoot a member of the public.”

Additional reporting: Sarah Marsh



Streatham attack the latest in growing list of terror incidents in UK

Stabbings in south London follow similar incidents spanning more than 15 years

Streatham attack: latest updates
Police shoot man dead after ‘terror-related’ stabbing attack in Streatham

Aaron Walawalkar

Sun 2 Feb 2020 20.26 GMT
Last modified on Sun 2 Feb 2020 21.10 GMT

Police forensics officers work on the scene of the attack on Streatham High Road, south London. Photograph: Victoria Jones/PA

The attack in Streatham in which a suspect stabbed two people before being shot dead by the police and the incident being declared terror-related, is the latest in a line of terror incidents in the UK.

9 January 2020

Two inmates wearing fake suicide vests and armed with improvised blades are accused of attacking an officer at HMP Whitemoor.

Convicted terrorist Brusthom Ziamani, 24, has been named as one of the men allegedly involved. The second man is said to be a Muslim convert jailed for a violent offence.

29 November 2019

Two people were stabbed to death when a convicted terrorist launched a frenzied knife attack at an event in central London.

Usman Khan killed Cambridge graduates Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones at an event on prisoner rehabilitation called Learning Together.

The incident spilled out onto nearby London Bridge as former prisoners and members of the public tried to tackle Khan using a fire extinguisher and an ornamental whale tusk.

Police shot Khan, who was wearing a fake suicide vest, dead. It emerged that he had previously been jailed in 2012 for plotting a separate terrorist attack.

15 September 2017

Ahmed Hassan’s homemade bomb partially exploded on a London Underground rush hour train at Parsons Green, injuring more than 50 people. He was sentenced to life with a minimum jail term of 34 years.

19 June 2017

A group of Muslim worshippers were hit after a van slammed into them near Finsbury Park mosque, north London, after many of them had attended evening prayers during the holy month of Ramadan. One person died. Darren Osborne was jailed for at least 43 years after being found guilty of murder and attempted murder.

3 June 2017

Eight people were killed during a car and knife attack in London Bridge terror attack in central London.

Three men drove into pedestrians on the bridge and then stabbed people in nearby Borough Market.

22 May 2017

Around 10.30pm British-born Salman Ramadan Abedi, 22, walked into the foyer of Manchester Arena as crowds streamed out of an Ariana Grande concert and detonated a device packed with shrapnel, killing 22 people, including children.

22 March 2017

Five people were killed when an Islamist extremist launched a car and knife attack in central London.

Khalid Masood drove a hired car over Westminster Bridge, near the Houses of Parliament, mounted the pavement and hit pedestrians before crashing into railings outside the Palace of Westminster.

He stabbed PC Keith Palmer, 48, to death and also killed US tourist Kurt Cochran, Romanian tourist Andreea Cristea, 31, plus Britons Aysha Frade, 44, and 75-year-old Leslie Rhodes. Masood was shot dead by police.
16 June 2016

Labour MP Jo Cox was murdered outside her constituency office in Batley, west Yorkshire.

The mother of two, 41, was shot and stabbed multiple times by rightwing extremist Thomas Mair. He was later handed a whole-life prison sentence for her murder.

5 December 2015

A lone attacker attempted to behead a passenger during an Islamic State-inspired rampage in the ticket hall of Leytonstone Underground station in east London.

Somali-born Muhiddin Mire targeted strangers at random during the attack on 5 December 2015 before slashing fellow passenger Lyle Zimmerman, 56, with a knife.

Mire, who had schizophrenia, was sent to Broadmoor hospital after being given a life sentence with a minimum term of eight years for attempted murder.

22 May 2013

Fusilier Lee Rigby murdered by Islamic extremists Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale.

The 25-year-old serviceman was walking near his barracks in Woolwich, south-east London, when the pair rammed him with a car before attempting to decapitate him.

The killers were jailed for life at the Old Bailey in February 2014.

14 May 2010

Stephen Timms, MP for West Ham, was stabbed by Roshonara Choudhry during one his constituency surgeries. She became the first British person inspired by al-Qaida to try and assassinate a prominent figure on UK soil.

She was found guilty of attempted murder and jailed for life with a minimum term of 15 years.

30 June 2007

Two men inspired by Islamist extremism rammed a 4x4 laden with petrol and propane tanks into the main terminal of Glasgow airport. One of the attackers died in the incident and five people were injured.

7 July 2005

Four suicide bombers killed 52 and injured hundreds in blasts on the London Underground network and a bus.

Twenty-six died in the bombing at Russell Square on the Piccadilly line, six in the bombing at Edgware Road on the Circle line, seven in the bombing at Aldgate on the Circle line, and 13 in the bombing on a bus at Tavistock Square.