Subscribe to Secularism is a Womens Issue

Secularism is a Women’s Issue

Home > fundamentalism / shrinking secular space > Tunisia says museum terrorists were carrying explosives

Tunisia says museum terrorists were carrying explosives

Friday 20 March 2015, by siawi3

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0319/688105-tunisia/

Friday 20 March 2015 00.03

Tunisia has said it will deploy the army to major cities in response to the attack
Tunisia has said it will deploy the army to major cities in response to the attack Tunisia has said it will deploy the army to major cities in response to the attack

The Tunisian president has said the terrorists responsible for a museum attack in Tunis, in which 20 foreign tourists were killed, were carrying ’explosives’.

The country has also said it will deploy the army to major cities and arrested nine people in relation to the attack, which Islamic State militants called “the first drop of the rain”.

Japanese, Italian, Spanish and British visitors, as well as three Tunisians, were among the victims of the attack, which took place in the heavily guarded parliament compound of a country largely spared the violent aftermath of the Arab Spring.
IS militant group claims responsibility for attack on Tunisian museum

RELATED AUDIO & VIDEO
Watch: IS militant group claims responsibility for attack on Tunisian museum
Watch: Death toll from Tunisian attack rises to 23
Watch: IS claims responsibility for attack on museum in Tunisia

Officials did not confirm the militants’ claim of responsibility, but said they had identified two gunmen shot dead by security forces after the shootings, which targeted tourist buses visiting the Bardo museum on Wednesday.

The two gunmen were trained at a jihadist camp in Libya, the Tunisian government said. Interior ministry official Rafik Chelli said the two men had been recruited at mosques in Tunisia and travelled to Libya in September.

Cruise liner MSC Cruises said 12 of its passengers, including Colombians, French and a Belgian, were among the dead, while a Spanish couple was found alive today after hiding all night in the museum.

The assault - the most deadly attack involving foreigners in Tunisia since a 2002 suicide bombing in Djerba - came at a fragile moment for a country just emerging to full democracy after its pioneering popular uprising four years ago.

It is heavily reliant on foreign tourists to its beach resorts and desert treks, and the government was about to tackle politically sensitive reforms aimed at boosting economic growth.

The Islamic State militant group, which has declared a caliphate in large parts of Iraq and Syria and is active in Tunisia’s chaotic neighbour Libya, praised the two attackers in an audio recording as “knights of the Islamic State” armed with machineguns and bombs.

Tunisians make up the one of the largest contingents of foreign fighters in Syria, Iraq and Libya, and their homeland’s young democracy, which has cracked down on militancy at home, was a clear potential target.

“We tell the apostates who sit on the chest of Muslim Tunisia: Wait for the glad tidings of what will harm you, impure ones, for what you have seen today is the first drop of the rain,” the IS audio said in Arabic.

The two dead militants were identified as Tunisians, Hatemal-Khashnawi and Yassin al-Abidi. Two local newspapers reported Mr Abidi had spent time in Iraq and Libya, but officials did not confirm that.

Tunisia’s Prime Minister Habib Essid said Mr Abidi had been under surveillance but “not for anything very special”.

“We have identified them, it is indeed these two terrorists,” the premier said earlier today. “Their affiliation is not clear at the moment”, he added.

Army to guard large cities

Tunisian authorities said they had arrested four people directly linked to the attack and five others with indirect ties.

A security source said two family members of one of the gunmen were among those held. “We arrested the father and the sister of the terrorist Hatem Al-Khashnawi in the their home in Sbiba City,” the source said.

The president’s office said the army would be deployed to the streets as part of increased security following the attack: “After a meeting with the armed forces, the president has decided large cities will be secured by the army.”

The number of foreign tourists killed rose to 20 from 17, the health minister said. The UK said a British woman was among the dead in shootings it called cowardly and despicable.

Spain said the woman in the couple who emerged from the museum alive was pregnant. “They were hidden this whole time, without daring to make a phone call, probably because they were anxious and scared, as you can imagine,” Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said.

Four years after a popular revolt toppled autocrat Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali, Tunisia has completed its transition to democracy with free elections, a new constitution and compromise politics between secular and Islamist parties.

But security forces are battling Islamist militants including Ansar al Sharia, which is listed as a terrorist group by Washington, and Okba Ibn Nafaa, a brigade of al-Qaeda-affiliated fighters operating in the Chaambi mountains along the Algerian border.